Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Newsletter: Month 1

Dear Monkey,

It has been one month since you officially joined the family, in the flesh, and it seems we have had a pretty good start. Of course all you do is eat, sleep and poop but as easy as that sounds it ain’t so much. This is because we have our schedule, that we’ve had for much longer than you I might add, and you have your own schedule and they are at constant odds with each other. Right now you are in the lead but not without a fight from me. That fight centers around sleeping and swaddling.

For the first few weeks of your life you slept on me and while that provided comfort emotionally for both you and me it did not provide comfort for me physically as I was on my back and at an angle. Not to mention you were wide awake come 2 in the AM while the rest of the free world was asleep.

About a week ago I decided to finally make my move and I was determined to get you to sleep in your bassinet, and here it is…while swaddled. You fight the swaddle but when you finally accept your fate you are able to get a couple of hours of shut eye. Plus I’m the master swaddler and there ain’t no way you are breakin free of that one no matter how much grunting and Houdini antics you try. Just as your brother! In the latter part of the month your days and nights are becoming more in line with NORMAL human beings, there is hope for a somewhat normal schedule yet.

You will soon discover that it is all about schedule with your mom, this is what I do for a living and it translates to a happy mom. I can plan for stuff and get stuff done oh and sleep which is my most favorite thing to do in the entire world. Now your bother was a most excellent sleeper when he got the hang of it and I expect no less from you young man. You still have a couple of months to work on it but come month four…sleeping through the night, ok…you have one pass a night and getting up at 9:30 in the am is expected and I know it can be done. Get to it.

You and I have been sequestered for this first month, your dad and I think it is best in order to prevent untimely illness while your immune system is still trying to kick in, we know we can’t protect you from getting sick your entire life but if we can prevent it these first few weeks while we are all trying to get used to each other then we all benefit.

You are growing with intensity and vigor. That explains the eating you require every waking moment it seems. When you become a man my guess is that you will be a boob man since that is what you are all about, I have a sneaking suspicion you are using me as a human pacifier. Ouch.

Your dad, brother and I are so happy you finally joined us; you are fitting into our family just fine.

Love,
Mom

No comments: